[IAEP] Where should we put Lesson Plans? Currwiki?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Sep 12 10:58:55 EDT 2009

Hi Chris,
I think the right answer is to put our materials on both your system and
Curriki for now and hopefully an automated interoperable system will emerge.

I am very interested in collaborating with OLE and in making materials
accessible to schools without internet access. Please talk more about how
your system supports these environments.  I have not yet reached out to the
Curriki people to try to create a partnership.  Are you in communication
with them?

For the Moodle advocates. I am a big Moodle fan. But I don't think its our
right now solution for the work we are talking about doing.

   1. Our target, elementary school teachers are not currently using either
   Moodle or Sugar, adding both at once makes the learning curve even harder.
   2. We are focusing on lesson plans in the 1 hour and even 20-minute
   groupwork time frames.  Moodle is more focused on longer time frames.
   3. We are focusing on what the teacher will do and what the class will do
   both online and offline during the lesson as well as learning goals,
   standards, help for the teacher in differentiating the lesson etc.  Think
   the teachers guide for the text book. Moodle is more focused on what the
   student is doing online. Its not a very natural fit.
   4. Moodle has tremendous promise in terms of reducing teacher workload.
    Here is an example of what I hope that in the future Moodle will be able
   to:
      1. Provide a link that students click and they open a Write document
      that is a template/scaffolding for a specific assignment, say writing a
      scientific argument.
      2. When the document is saved it is automatically turned in as
      Homework in Moodle allowing the teacher to review and comment on the
      document from anywhere, even on days when the class does not see
the science
      teacher.

however, these features aren't there yet. Once they are there will be a
large payoff for teachers to learn Moodle.  However, I still see Moodle as
just one format teachers will use. Other lessons and other teachers and
other contexts may still want to print out a pdf.  Other times a teacher may
just be browsing for a sample lesson to be used as inspiration to create a
quite different lesson.

Thanks,
Caroline

--