[IAEP] student guidelines _very_ rough draft

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 06:49:28 EDT 2009

FWIW, Helen Foster @ Moodle handles that -- according to Google's SoC
ppl -- is one of the best-run GSoCs. What I hear from students is that
the explicit 'expectations' document is very good guidance. All the
docs are -- I think -- interesting:

   http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category:GSOC

as a mentor, Helen is always there, and sends me brief kind emails in
advance of deadlines, calls on meta-mentors to help when I am bogged
down and not answering to my mentees in timely fashion, etc.

Her approach is really outstanding.

As a mentor for 3 runs now, I have so say that the best indicators of
success have been...

 - The time I spend on it -- not just direct irc time -- quality code
review takes a lot of time!

 - How hard the students work, and how skilled they are, *before* the
project starts. A student that can't get a checkout and a build going
and patch a bug or two without help is of no interest to me (in the
context of GSoC). Pretty damn high bar, but there are a lot of people
applying for GSoC -- get the best ones :-) -- and it will be valuable
dev time diverted from other work.

hth,