[IAEP] Reflections on the clipboard

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sun Oct 4 21:03:33 EDT 2009

As part of my Very Hungry Caterpillar project I've been using the clipboard
and I have some observations on where the UI is difficult.

The application I am using, Cartoon Builder does not allow me to drag and
drop from the clipboard so having it in the frame is not fundamentally
useful.   I have to explictly use Keep to put it in my Journal.  Everything
else gets saved automatically would it make sense to save clippings?

To name my clipping I have to first Keep, then goto the Journal and name it.
 Could we put the ability to name it in the popup somehow?

 A whole line of images in my frame is not useful because I have no idea
which is which.  Is a thumbnail feasible?

Once I Keep it maybe it should disappear from the frame, it seems like a
whole bunch of clippings, that look identical, in my frame is not very
useful.

Overall I'm much better at finding usability problems then giving good
suggestions on fixing them and I know others in the community are good at
that.  So I think the take away here is, collecting a bunch of images from
the web to use in another application (Cartoon Builder, Memorize, Scratch,
Turtle Art) is a fairly common use case.  A similar one would be using Paint
or eToys to make a series of pictures, each slightly changed for an
animation. For instance, I might want to grow my caterpillar a bit and make
a bunch of images with it a bit bigger in each one.  Both of these require
clipping a bunch of images.

Once you clip an image you have to explicitly Keep it.
Once you Keep an image you have switch to the Journal to name it.

It seems like this could be easier.

As a separate issue, how often do we expect drag and drop to work?  Is it
hard to implement?

Do we want it to work in Turtle Art? http://screencast.com/t/mIru9rjWafJ

In Cartoon Builder? http://screencast.com/t/Ttlju4KbF

Thanks,