[IAEP] The last Sugar XO

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:41:28 EDT 2009

Yesterday I spent way too much time trying to figure out the different
press articles and opinion pieces in the internet around the delivery of
the "ceibalita" # 396.727, the "last" in Uruguay

the main thing: Congratulations!
the main thing: it's not enough

It is clear that the LATU team headed by Ing. Brechner has done an
almost incredible job, and even though there are excellent teachers
there "giving us lessons" internationally, even though there are highly
dedicated volunteers, *the use of these machines in the classroom is not
a solved matter*.
Even if the most extreme opinions (both ends) are fruit of political
interests, it is getting more and more clear that there is a lot of work
to be done to make the XOs really a useful feature of the classroom

I say we need to focus on what is easy, to gain buy in by the majority
of teachers

*when using the XO in class is easier for the teacher than giving class
without the XO, we will have won*

I may be wrong, and opinions are welcome

meanwhile, my article
http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/uruguay/last_xo_laptop_olpc_uruguay.html