[IAEP] Walter's visit

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 22:34:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 03:49, Gerald Ardito <gerald.ardito at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rita and Edward,
>
> I am very interested in EToys and Scratch.
> Last year, one of our 5th grade classes used EToys to create lab reports
> after science fair projects. We were really just beginning with the XOs and
> EToys, but they were really fascinated with the scripting/programming piece.
> And I have used Scratch with my 7th graders, which they loved (me, too).
> I have not yet played much with Pippy, and have as a goal for myself
> learning Python.

The place for the children to start learning Python is the
programmable tiles in Turtle Art. One takes an expression, and one
reads code from an external file, which you can edit in Pippy. Pippy
gives children a simple IDE for writing, testing, debugging, and
running Python code, with tutorial examples. I have recently done a
presentation on Learning Python in Elementary School, and need to
write it up and make it available. Students can go on from there to
the Turtle Graphics in Smalltalk (Etoys) and Logo. Turtle Art also
makes it easy to present a variety of Computer Science ideas, and to
learn about other languages.

> Thanks for your support. If you have tutorials, videos, etc. to share or

Gravity lesson for third grade:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Gravity.odt

Issues in teaching Sugar:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable

> would be available for some conversations about utilizing these tools,
> please let me know.

Yes, definitely. Feedback from the field is what we most lack.

http://earthtreasury.org/