[IAEP] GPA Report - Feedback on using the Journal

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 06:47:51 EDT 2009

I don't know who invented this set of controls, but it seems to me to
be  programmers who have forgotten how to be users, and especially
novices. Yes, it works fine for developers to save, compile, test,
commit, open, edit, save, compile, test...but not for office workers
and not for children.

We need to start over on the Journal, not try to fix it piecemeal in
the absence of understanding. What is the child's natural workflow? I
will not guess, but will wait for the teachers to tell us more of what
they have observed. Actually, what I want is to ask children myself.

I do know that there are several natural workflows. One is for
discovering how an activity or a system capability works. Another is
for making something, saving it, done. Another for working on
something in successive sessions, or trying different variations, or
working with others in each of these ways, or sharing something in
progress or done, or creating a special presentation, backing up work,
submitting homework...What are the components of these workflows that
make natural sense to our children? What controls with what icons and
what names make sense to them for those components?

What do they say?

http://earthtreasury.org/