[IAEP] Sugar Cereal?

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 02:02:35 EDT 2009

Cross-posting to Marketing, since this is a marketing idea :-)

It's true that cereal-box promotion is the ideal platform for
marketing to children, especially as prescriptors ("Papa, I want Sugar
Coated Frosted Bombs instead of Extra Sugar Hyper Doobs because
there's a scary tarantula hidden in the box.") For this reason,
cereal-box placement usually involves a big fat payment. Of course,
sometimes charitable messages are accepted for free. However,
companies are very leery of any association which could impact their
brand negatively... such as software which doesn't work.

Until fairly recently, Windows XP executables were the usual choice of
cereal-box promoters. Lately however, with the marketshare gains of
Apple, Flash is preferred more and more. I have never seen any
GNU/Linux software on a cereal box, not surprising due to the
marketshare problem.

What could work is finding a new bio or fairtrade retailer brand.
Retailers are always trying to expand in the bottom of the market,
taking share from major brands. To grow a new launch, a retailer might
be willing to give the space away.

However, there are problems with that too... distribution would be
limited to a single retailer. And we are positioning Sugar as premium
quality in K-6, even if not ready for widescale deployment yet;
bottom-shelf placement might not be ideal. But I do think bio /
fairtrade cereal would work... in particular because there won't be
tons of added sugar, a downside to the perception of traditional
cereals...

Sean