[IAEP] [SoaS] R: E-Books for Sugar on a Stick (Blueberry)

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 11:45:05 EST 2009

Caroline,

I'm not sure what the state of printing is in SoaS.  If I was a
teacher I think I'd teach the kids to use View Slides, Browse, and a
Paint program and then use another computer running Image Magick on
Windows (or Linux or a Macintosh) to prepare PDFs.  You'd have to
unzip the archives created by View Slides, which recent versions of
Windows can do (or use JustZipIt for older versions).  Then you run an
Image Magick command like this to create a PDF:

convert scanImage_1.jpg scanImage_2.jpg scanImage_3.jpg mybook.pdf

Or you could print the pictures out one at a time.  This could use a
LOT of ink and be very slow, either way.  It might make more sense to
just create ebooks and publish them where parents could download them.

All this would be dangerously close to teaching kids how to use
PowerPoint.  If you had to print everything out it might be cheaper to
get the kids construction paper, crayons, glue, etc.

Using View Slides is easy enough, I think.  Check out the screen shots
on ASLO.  They're not in sequence, but I think they give an idea of
how to assemble images into an ebook.

James Simmons