[IAEP] turtleArt and materials for education

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 07:17:50 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

>> Any of these materials suitable to be included as TA examples in the bundle?
>
> Yes, indeed. I can generate many more if you like. For example, I have
> the TA models to go with my extension of Alan Kay's gravity lesson,
> starting with simple linear acceleration overlaid with frames of a
> falling ball, then adding in constant sideways motion to generate
> parabolas, overlaid with foundains. I have the TA examples for my
> outline of Kindergarten Calculus, illustrating tangents, slopes, and
> integrals. I have a prototype for a general-purpose graphing function,
> using the Python-programmable block to specify the function to graph.
> I have made a start on symmetry groups and tilings. I can do lots more
> math and Computer Science, except that I have too many other things to
> do. Right now I am getting ready to move to Columbus, Indiana.
>
> What format would you like the examples in? Journal entries?
>
> Are we updating the format for the examples so that users can add to
> their own example directories easily?

Good question. I've been thinking about it. For individual users,
their journal serves as the examples directory and I have been trying
to figure out a way to incorporate the samples directly into the
journal instead of using a separate mechanism for loading them as is
currently the case. Regarding sharing examples, you can "send to" from
the journal to individuals, but we have no "global" ability to share
activity instances in Sugar. There has been talk of building such a
mechanism into activities.sugarlabs.org, but I don't know the current
status of that effort.

Meanwhile, can you use the copy-from-journal command and just email me
the .ta files?

thanks.

-walter

[snip]