[IAEP] A Couple of Comments/Questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Nov 18 05:19:18 EST 2009

On 18.11.2009, at 10:46, adam hyde wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:42 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

>>> @timClicks
>>
>> Can't do. FLOSS Manuals inexplicably uses GPL for everything, which is more restrictive than Creative Commons.
>
> creative commons is not very useable. ever looked at the jurisdiction,
> collection or interoperability clauses?
>
> if all content is in gpl u can use it anywhere. if all content is in
> cc-x-[region] you can pretty much only use it elsewhere under
> cc-x-[region]
>
> adam

Yes, GPL works wonderfully in its own closed world. It's just that the FLOSS world is larger than GNU.

If Sdenka was to relicense her work under GPL it could be added to FLOSS Manuals - however, further contributions by others couldn't be used as freely as her original. E.g., there are wonderful lesson plans for Etoys in there, but updated or translated versions could not be included with Etoys if we wanted to.

I heard you are looking into supporting dual-licensing on FLOSS Manuals. Any contribution would automatically be made under both the GPL and the work's own license. This should make licensing a much less severe issue. Any progress on that front?

- Bert -