[IAEP] Book reading demo suggestions

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:23:43 EST 2009

Caroline,

Read Etexts has *not* removed the book search function.  However, it
only appears when you launch from the Activity ring, and NOT when you
open a book that is already in the Journal.

As for books with pictures, you can't get those with Read Etexts.
What you can use is my other book searching Activity, Get Internet
Archive Books.  This will let you download books with pictures as PDFs
or DJVU files.  DJVU's are a superior format (less disk space and
memory needed to read) but really are only well supported by SoaS so
if you're using an XO for the demos you're limited to PDF.

The Internet Archive website has a listing of children's books, so you
could look for titles there.  If you're using Get Internet Archive
Books you might try searching for the Oz books and other titles by L.
Frank Baum.  A kid's book that will absolutely knock your eyes out is
"Abroad".  It is so lavishly illustrated that the XO can't handle it
in PDF format, although DJVU works fine.  Another thing to try is to
search for books with "Boy" and "Girl" in the title.  This works for
Read Etexts too.  PG has lots of Juvenile novels (The Girl Aviator's
Motor Butterfly, Tom Swift, Horatio Alger, etc.)

The Internet Archive also has books in EPUB format, but I wouldn't
recommend them for demos at this time.  The text is produced by OCR
with very little proofreading and EPUB makes "Abroad" look anorexic in
comparison to the original.

James Simmons