[IAEP] stat collecto activity

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 19:52:55 EST 2009

Hi David,

I think its a good idea. You might want to look into using Moodle to help
create it. Moodle is good at collecting info from many students and giving
it to the teachers in a form that is easy for them to use.

One thing I noticed at GPA was that the 4th graders had a very hard time
writing even one sentence about their work. Typing, spelling, writing
sentence are all challenging still, and I'm really wondering how much
reflection we will be able to get from the younger grades.  Although writing
is always good, our goal is to have the students think about the work they
just did so it would be good to have an alternative input where writing
skills would not be an impediment.   It would be nice to have it easy to
have an alternative of recording speech.

I think Moodle may have a module that does that already. I have the Moodle
book on using Moodle to teach foreign language on order.  We still have to
get all our drivers to work and headsets for the students but maybe it will
not be too hard. :)

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com>wrote:

> The new google wave stuff made me think of a maybe interesting
> activity that would be very easy to write but might be useful for
> teachers to gain feedback from their students, while treating them
> more as peers in the constructionist philosophy. The idea is, to have
> a a multiple choice like activity that would ask students about their
> experience of lessons.
>
> For example, lets say they have been learning algebra, the teacer
> could get them to launch an activity that asks questions like with
> multiple answers like:
> The most difficult part to learn was a) blah, b) bleh,  c) bluh, The
> most fun part was a)) glah b) gleh c) gluh
>
> What do u think would something like that be useful? The problem I see
> is that the teacher would actuallly have o create the questions and
> answers, so it might seem like too redundant. I guess the best way
> would be for the teacher to get the students to create these quizzes
> (for lack of a better word) would be very simple to create such an
> activity. Would there be ebnough demand and usage of such ab activity?
>
> regards,
> David Van Assche

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove