[IAEP] (Please read) Re: Proposed Trac - > Launchpad migration

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Nov 2 06:01:32 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 03:36, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2009, at 22:06, Chris Ball wrote:
>
>> Dear Sugar folks,
>>
>> This mail didn't get any replies, but it's important to know whether
>> people agree with it before going ahead.  So, please understand that:
>>
>> * bugs.sugarlabs.org is moving from Trac to Launchpad.
>
> Ouch, oh my that's a bolt from the blue, thanks for emailing! I had no
> idea this was really on the cards, just assumed it was some background
> noise/chatter from a few folks who never liked using trac.
>
> Personally I've ignored Launchpad as I don't have time to burn on yet
> another 'lets try some other misc thingamajig' cycle. FWIW, will
> likely ignore Launchpad for a number of months more even if we
> migrated yesterday.
>
>> * Existing bug data will be imported, but the bug numbers won't be the
>>  same.
>
> So the git commit messages referencing trac bug tickets will be future
> information garbage, oh joy.
>
>> * It will be hosted by Canonical externally, rather than by SL as Trac
>>  currently is.
>>
>> If any of these are not to your liking, the time to speak up is now,
>> before it all happens.  :)
>
> Not to my liking, but if some really smart/committed folks are willing
> to do the work, have it well tested, say this is really worth the
> pain, and don't mind some folks ignoring the move for a few months...
> Though, I would first really love to see a clear explanation of why
> this is a good idea, and how the move benefits us.

+1 to have a precise blurb explaining explicitly why this is a good thing to do.

All proposals should make explicit the resoning, risks, known
controversies and any issues that the submitter anticipates are
relevant to the discussion.

Btw, I couldn't create an account in the testing instance, no emails
seem to be sent.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning