[IAEP] (Please read) Re: Proposed Trac - > Launchpad migration

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Nov 1 22:36:13 EST 2009

On 1 Nov 2009, at 22:06, Chris Ball wrote:

> Dear Sugar folks,
>
> This mail didn't get any replies, but it's important to know whether
> people agree with it before going ahead.  So, please understand that:
>
> * bugs.sugarlabs.org is moving from Trac to Launchpad.

Ouch, oh my that's a bolt from the blue, thanks for emailing! I had no
idea this was really on the cards, just assumed it was some background
noise/chatter from a few folks who never liked using trac.

Personally I've ignored Launchpad as I don't have time to burn on yet
another 'lets try some other misc thingamajig' cycle. FWIW, will
likely ignore Launchpad for a number of months more even if we
migrated yesterday.

> * Existing bug data will be imported, but the bug numbers won't be the
>  same.

So the git commit messages referencing trac bug tickets will be future
information garbage, oh joy.

> * It will be hosted by Canonical externally, rather than by SL as Trac
>  currently is.
>
> If any of these are not to your liking, the time to speak up is now,
> before it all happens.  :)

Not to my liking, but if some really smart/committed folks are willing
to do the work, have it well tested, say this is really worth the
pain, and don't mind some folks ignoring the move for a few months...
Though, I would first really love to see a clear explanation of why
this is a good idea, and how the move benefits us.

Regards,
--Gary