[IAEP] [Marketing] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat May 30 15:16:58 EDT 2009

On 30 May 2009, at 19:40, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:

> Gary C Martin wrote:
>> On 30 May 2009, at 18:50, Walter Bender wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Fred has sparked an idea. What if we replace the dots with activity
>>> icons?
>>
>> Hmmm, activities shown might not be installed and then lead to
>> confusion
>> (unless you are considering the difficult step of pre-generating boot
>> graphics at shutdown).
>>
>> There's a fine line between cool eye-candy – and there are plenty of
>> cool Sugary lickable animations we could try, activity icons being
>> one –
>> and boot UI feedback utility :-)
>>
>> Now... If the technical boot stages could be made clear (device/
>> keyboard
>> checks, network detection, certain key services, etc) it could be of
>> real use to have some simplified abstract icon for each stage so
>> you'd
>> have an idea for what really might be going on (or where a boot/
>> hardware
>> problem was) – but realistically that's more of a long term UI
>> opportunity**.
>>
>> ** Sebastian: Do you know just where/when each progress update is
>> triggered, and what major boot landmark could be sensible to visually
>> indicate success of?
>
> Sorry, I'm not exactly sure *when* it gets triggered. What I can
> tell you from looking at the tarball is that there are also other
> themes, which contain a different number of .png files. For example,
> there's one, that contains 32 progress and 19 throbber .png files.
> So I guess plymouth adjusts what gets displayed to the number of
> images. I suppose there's one event which triggers the change from
> showing the progress to the throbber files, but I'm not sure, what
> it is. From my experience, the throbber files are shown rather late
> in the boot process, shortly before logging in.

Thanks understood, I think getting clever with the progress icons
indicating real boot events is pushing the boat out a little too far
just now. I was digging about for plymouth guides or instructions for
'creatives' and there is almost nothing I could find except a README
and the source code. A real quick skim gave me the impression that the
plymouthd daemon does the main work, and then you go lace your
relevant/desired start-up scripts with plymouth commands letting
plymouthd know some progress state had passed.

One quick note, I'm on a MacBook Pro here so can only test Soas using
VirtualBox. I think it's only ever showing the 'text' boot animation
mode for me (black screen with blue/stripy progress bar at bottom with
the word Soas at the right end). Just wanted to mention this as it
means I can't see what you have done with the boot already, and can't
tinker about and test this for real myself.

> Ray Strode (halfline in #fedora-devel) is one of the developers and
> has been really helpful with regard to my questions when hacking the
> logo into plymouth. He might know.

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

Regards,
--Gary