[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 14, Issue 58

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Fri May 29 05:30:24 EDT 2009

Though my usage case of packaging a lot of honey is not totally common, even
without that, I am still responsible for a good 50-100 packages that make up
sugar and its dependencies... if we have access to the source in a common
way (like git) it means I can script some bash stuff to do a lot of
processing automatically on a monthly basis. For every exception it takes me
2 times longer than it normally would, so I would love to see everything in
the git repos at least. A bz2 is nice, but that can be scripted. The
problem, and this is true of sugar, is that not all source is the same nor
can it be packaged in the same way. Take the sugar-colors activity, for
example. To package that, we need the prebuilt binaries that the Makefile
would otherwise take care of installing... So we need the source, the
binaries that are generated, and any dependencies required to generate those
binaries... Then we need to tell the rpm where to install all this.

kind Regards,
David (nubae) Van Assche