[IAEP] Fwd: [SoaS] Important Schedule Changes - Please Read!

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu May 28 12:10:08 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 08:51:47AM -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think one possible place where we are having a miss communication
> is about what is "Sugar on a Stick" or SoaS.

I agree with you about this.

> I think to Sean and I it is a solution that can be used in schools.
> [...]
>
> In addition we will start really interacting with Learners and
> Teachers and that is where we will really learn, test and improve
> our total solution.
>
> [my impression of developers' impression is that they think the code
> is ready to be called a "release"]

I'd like to hear from some others but Sebastien thinks so.  As do I
(FWIW).

> the full solution [is] still under very rapid development and we
> expect the Teacher and School IT person's user experience to change
> dramatically between June and Sept and probably again by Q1 2010.

That's fine - I'd like to point out that doesn't mean the code isn't
"releaseable".

> So is there a naming solution that accurately communicates to other
> Open Source Developers the stability of the SoaS.iso code base but
> also accurately communicates to nondevelopers the rapid progress and
> improvements and additional features that the total solution is
> undergoing over the next 6 months?

I don't know, but I think as you note:

> I think one possible place where we are having a miss communication is about
> what is "Sugar on a Stick" or SoaS.
> I think to Sean and I it is a solution that can be used in schools.

...and thus "Sugar on a Stick" (insofar as it's physically manifest
and can be "released") is a bunch of bits of Fedora Linux + Sugar Labs
code/docs burnable on to a USB stick as well as Fedora Linux is able
to do so.

This, to me, is quite well named by the phrase "Sugar on a Stick".

What you're talking about sounds, to use a similar nomenclature, as
"School on a Stick" or "My own Pilot on a Stick" or even "Deployment
on a Stick" (the first two already seem strained, and I think you'll
agree the last is a bit much).

So I think "Sugar on a Stick" is ready for release, as does its
maintainer (Sebastien).

It up to the decision-makers to move us forward on this.

> Thanks,
> Caroline

Martin