[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Journal criticism

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu May 28 07:19:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 06:18:35AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
>On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:49 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>>You say that like it would be a bad thing. The existing desktops are
>>>at least time-tested. Learning to deal with the common features of
>>>modern desktop systems is very valuable for children.
>>
>> I flat out disagree that Sugar should be a learning experience
>> towards using alternative user interfaces.
>>
>> In that mindset we should mimic Word, Excel and the Windows desktop,
>> not for the quality of their interface designs, but simply because
>> they are expremely popular so getting acquainted to them is "very
>> valuable for children".
>
>To the extent that there are common features that are highly
>unlikely to change across versions or even OSes, definitely.
>
>MacOS System 6, MacOS X, OS/2 Warp, and Windows Vista
>have certain basic features in common. It's a safe bet to say that
>most of these features will remain in the computers of 2017.

Actually, I am not so sure about that: I suspect user interfaces (as
well as many other features of our society) do not evolve linear, but
more and more rapidly transform.

So I am willing to challenge you in that bet. :-D

I suggest, for simplicity sake in our later judgement, that we limit the
bet to "do all popular computer desktop environments still use (and
directly expose to the edn user) a hierarchical file system in 2017, as
they did in 2009?"

And I propose a symbolic item from looser to winner, with a fun
punishment twist added: One bottle of bewerage of the winner's choosing,
delivered personally at the winner's door step.

How does that sound?

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --