[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Journal criticism

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:23:19 EDT 2009

I, too, encounter difficulty finding elements in the Journal but
haven't found time yet to contribute to a feature discussion.

just 2 cents about hierarchical representation: it certainly has uses.
The coolest one I ever saw was 8 years ago by a company (trying to
remember the name) that provides intranet search to corporations:
users enter text in a Google-like box; the bottom half of the screen
shows hit-parade results (links) by relevancy, but the top half
dynamically generated a hierarchy by type: text file (subclassed by
format upon drilling down), media file, intranet web page, database
result (interrogation by prebuilt connectors), etc.

Clicking on any hierarchy entry regenerated the hit-parade by that type.

Private tagging was possible, tied to the user's profile but exportable.

Viewing rights were handled too; if unavailable to the profile, the
link would be greyed but the info source within the company shown, so
the user could militate for access (as opposed to not knowing its
existence).

Related: I heard Steve Jobs say in 1998 that folders were great for
small numbers of files, but it didn't scale... so he had resorted to
e-mailing files to himself, with different accounts and keywords in
the subject lines... and sort/filter available in mail software.
Today, OSX uses "Spotlight" which indexes not just text, but media
file metadata, a subject dear to my heart (the Ogg container is
well-suited to that).

However, since I find Spotlight windows a pain (the commandline
version is often faster), I continue to use the system I've used these
past ten years: e-mailing documents between my accounts adding as many
keywords as I can and searching in different ways (gmail search is not
bad but could actually be quite a lot better). I think the Journal
will be fine if additional search options are very carefully
selected... and as much metadata as possible is pulled out of media
files. I have found exiftool to be wonderful in this respect

Sean