[IAEP] Journal criticism

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed May 27 15:11:09 EDT 2009

Lucian,

Other than the criticisms I mentioned in my email, I like the Journal.
Even after years of working with PCs I still find myself occasionally
saving something to the hard drive, then wondering where I saved it.  My
parents probably won't ever really master working with hierarchical file
systems, and it's probably a difficult concept for children to master.
Even Microsoft recognizes the need to have standard folders like "My
Documents", "My Pictures", etc.

Hierarchical file systems made a lot of sense in the DOS world with 8
character file and directory names.  However, if you have a Journal that
can have long titles, free form notes, screenshots of what the Activity
looked like when it closed, icons indicating what Journal entry belongs
to what Activity, other icons indicating that a Journal entry was the
result of a shared Activity, etc. then you don't really need to group
things into folders.  The Journal gives you better ways to organize your
work.

It may grow on you.  Give it a chance.

James Simmons