[IAEP] Read Etexts with offline Gutenberg catalog search

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Tue May 19 16:14:01 EDT 2009

Tomeu,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I've been working on this a little each
day and it's starting to look less like a rigged demo and more like a
really useful Activity.  I may have something good enough to criticize
in a week or two.  When I do I'll post it to the Activities site.

Unfortunately, while Gutenberg uses a consistent file naming convention
for *most* of its content, there are still a fair number of older texts
that use a naming convention that does not lend itself to automatic
downloading.  For the time being these books won't be available for
downloading from my offline catalog search (nothing to stop anyone from
getting them from the website, though).  Also, I plan to make the
Activity have some Help text loaded into it when you start it up from
the Activity ring.  Of course this text would be in English.  I'd like
to have versions of the text loaded based on the locale, but I don't
know how to do that in Python.  Pootle, etc. doesn't support that kind
of thing.

I'm thinking also of modifying View Slides so it can create slideshows
as well as view them.  I'd write something that would let you select
images in the Journal and let you add them to the Zip file, resequence
them, and view them.  Maybe let you use the XO camera too.

The "growing one step at a time" is a necessity considering how little
time I have to do this kind of work.

James Simmons