[IAEP] Read Etexts with offline Gutenberg catalog search

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed May 20 05:42:28 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 22:14, James Simmons <jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
> Thanks for the encouragement.  I've been working on this a little each day
> and it's starting to look less like a rigged demo and more like a really
> useful Activity.  I may have something good enough to criticize in a week or
> two.  When I do I'll post it to the Activities site.
>
> Unfortunately, while Gutenberg uses a consistent file naming convention for
> *most* of its content, there are still a fair number of older texts that use
> a naming convention that does not lend itself to automatic downloading.  For
> the time being these books won't be available for downloading from my
> offline catalog search (nothing to stop anyone from getting them from the
> website, though).  Also, I plan to make the Activity have some Help text
> loaded into it when you start it up from the Activity ring.  Of course this
> text would be in English.  I'd like to have versions of the text loaded
> based on the locale, but I don't know how to do that in Python.  Pootle,
> etc. doesn't support that kind of thing.

Ok, I look forward to see what that looks like and I'm sure we can
find a way to localize it.

> I'm thinking also of modifying View Slides so it can create slideshows as
> well as view them.  I'd write something that would let you select images in
> the Journal and let you add them to the Zip file, resequence them, and view
> them.  Maybe let you use the XO camera too.

Sounds great, what I would like to do is to add buttons to the
objectchooser for taking a photo, record a video clip and record audio
to the object chooser, so all activities using the object chooser can
also get those media from the input devices.

> The "growing one step at a time" is a necessity considering how little time
> I have to do this kind of work.

I think it's important not only because of our limited resources, but
also because it allows for a more efficient feedback loop. We have
many options open and is often hard to decide which way to go.

Regards,

Tomeu