[IAEP] Library Activity

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue May 5 17:57:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM, James Simmons <jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Aleksey,
>
> ... In the
> Calibre screenshot we had File Size, Publisher, Date, Series, and I
> could easily do without any of them.

Whereas I would use each of them frequently.

o File Size is particularly useful for deciding what to dump when you
are running out of space, considering also whether you can download it
again at need, or perhaps should back it up first.

o I am researching textbook publishers, and would find it incredibly
useful to have their catalogs in such a system with appropriate
tagging.

o Date is extremely helpful in navigating Series, and looking at the
development of a subject.

o Series is particularly useful for collections by multiple authors
and even multiple publishers, such as the 40+ canonical Oz books and
the 100+ titles since, not all of them for children.

> Considering that most users of Sugar are going to be children enforcing
> a minimum structure couldn't hurt.

I don't like enforcement, but I do approve of useful defaults. I
recommend having a way to store several sets of settings for different
purposes. I also suggest some level of integration with Browse, so
that bookmarking a URL for a document file can automatically add it to
the book list for easy downloading.

> James Simmons
>
> Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> Well, in my mind the best solution is let user choose the right way :)

+1

>> So Library will have several tags views
>> * cloud of tags
>> * tree of tags
>> * plane list of objects i.e. w/o any tags

And Children are my nation.