[IAEP] Library Activity

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed May 6 11:02:07 EDT 2009

Aleksey,

I've read over your latest Activities/Library document and it looks
good.  There is one useful feature that Calibre has that your spec
lacks, which is the ability to launch a viewing application once you
find the book you're looking for.  I would expect this feature to work
on texts in the local Journal only, not on texts in someone else's
Library.  I would also desire it to be intelligent about which viewing
application it opens.  By this I mean:

1).  MIME type of text/plain would be opened by Read Etexts.  The
Journal makes you choose between Read Etexts and Write for this MIME
type.  If you just click on the icon the Journal will pick one of these
Activities and load it.  There is no way to tell the Journal entry which
one to use by default or which one to use for a given Journal entry by
default.  This makes reading Gutenberg etexts much more difficult than
it should be.

2).  MIME type of application/zip *could* be opened by one of three
Activities:

* View Slides
* Read Etexts
* Etoys

Again, in the Journal there is no way to specify which one should be
used by default for a given Journal entry.  You have to remember to
choose the correct Activity from a special menu each and every time.  So
when we're thinking about tags there should be a tag to specify which
Activity to use to open one of these Journal entries.  After you've
specified this you should be able to open any book in your Library with
one click.

Read Etexts works with text files contained in a Zip file because you
cannot use the Browse Activity to create a Journal entry from a plain
text file.  Browser will simply load the text file as if it was a web
page.  Browse will let you download a Zip file to the Journal, and this
is a format that Guitenberg can provide.

View Slides uses Zip files containing multiple image files, which may or
may not be be in subdirectories.

I have no idea what Etoys does with Zip files, but I suppose there
should be a way to indicate that by default a given Journal entry in the
Library should be opened with Etoys.

3).  MIME type of application/pdf and application/djvu should be opened
with Read.

4).  Opening with the fbreader Activity should be a choice for
everything else.

Since you're the one writing this Activity I'll let you decide what
version of the Activity would provide this function.  I do think it is a
necessary feature, because what is the use of a nice, organized,
sharable Library if you have to go back to the Journal to read one of
the books in it?

James Simmons