[IAEP] Project Gutenberg, etc.

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon May 4 10:46:26 EDT 2009

Edward,

I'm a little puzzled by this statement:

"Presumably we can create a library of pretagged documents for our
students."

I would guess you're referring to some variation of the Unified Bundles
idea, and these bundles would have tags in them.  Fine with me, but who
is creating this library?  Is it Sugar Labs?  Do individual schools have
local etext libraries?  There are already several good repositories of
free etexts available, covering many languages.  Would we create yet
another one?

The way I would do it would be similar to the way my public library did
it.  Your first card only lets you check out books from the kid's
section.  This would be like a school's local etext library, where the
teachers select and bundle texts they consider suitable for the younger
readers.  (Maybe the older students help with the bundling).   In Junior
High they put a special stamp on your kid's card that let you into the
adult section, but you were only allowed to check out books from certain
sections.  Then in High School you got a grown up card, which was good
for everything except the books in a locked case.  This second and third
tier I would consider to be Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, etc.
where the kid is hunting for his own books and has to either bundle them
himself or use Activities that don't require bundling.

James Simmons