[IAEP] Project Gutenberg, etc.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:43:34 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM, James Simmons <jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Carol,
>
> I took a day off yesterday to run errands and I installed Calibre on a
> Fedora 10 box and tried it out.  It has an enormous number of
> dependencies so it took a couple of hours to get it installed and working.

It only took me a few minutes on Ubuntu, but then I had almost all of
the Python dependencies previously installed to support other
packages. For me the time consuming part was tagging more than a
thousand files. But it's worth it, because now I don't have to
remember where in the filesystem I put something. Presumably we can
create a library of pretagged documents for our students.

> I don't think our experience of books is that much different.  If I had
> bought a dead tree copy of "Edison's Conquest of Mars" I would certainly
> have kept it after I finished it.  I have a huge collection of books and
> am constantly going to used book sales to improve it.  I donate books I
> don't plan to read again, but I end up keeping most of them.  So I don't
> see a gender thing going on there.

I have bookshelves all over the house, as do many of my friends.

And Children are my nation.