[IAEP] Project Gutenberg, etc.

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Fri May 1 15:50:41 EDT 2009

Carol,

I think we agree on more things than we disagree on.  As a software
developer by trade I tend to think in terms of "what's the least you
could do that could get the job done?"  Software projects tend to get
more and more complex as they go on, and if you don't start with
something simple your project will go off the rails at some point.  The
lackluster support in Sugar for reading ebooks has been a gripe of mine
ever since I got my G1G1 XO and discovered it could only read PDFs and
that it wouldn't save the page number you stopped reading at in a way
that would survive a reboot.  I tried to improve things by writing Read
Etexts and View Slides and that just made me *really* frustrated with Sugar.

The XO has a terrific feature in that it can fold up to be an ebook
reader.  If only the software for reading ebooks was as good!

I don't own an iPhone, but I admire the "There's an App for that"
commercials.  They do a good job of selling the product.  But suppose
you bought an iPhone and found out that if you wanted to make a phone
call that "There's an App for that."  Actually, four different Apps, and
you had to choose the App that handled dialing to phones belonging to
the phone company your recipient used.  And there was a Phone Directory
App which would let you dial out using whichever App you liked from any
number, but refused to remember which phone number belonged to which
phone company.  You had to be sure to pick the right one each time.
Also, the Phone Directory only listed entries in the order you entered
them in and could not sort them any other way.

On the other hand, it would be *really* good at playing games.

That's where I think we're at with Sugar today.  There have been some
improvements.  In SoaS metadata like page number last read is saved
across reboots, and you can choose what Activity to open your Journal
entry with from the main Journal listing, rather than having to open the
Journal details page to do it.  The Read activity can read DjVu files in
addition to PDFs.  But there's lots of room for improvement.  And one
thing I'd like to see is that reading ebooks would be a function of
Sugar itself, and there would be no Read Activities.

I wonder how the OLPC project might have changed if it was sold as an
ebook reader that could also run educational software.  It brings to
mind an old Woody Allen joke, where he claimed to own a sword that
turned into a cane so the muggers would feel sorry for him.

James Simmons