[IAEP] Wiki reorganization proposal

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Mar 17 18:14:17 EDT 2009

If I were to do it all again, I would make the teams into namespaces:)

The challange of a wiki is that there are three distinct use case:
-Writing
-Editing
-Reading

The use of teams (or name spaces) help prevent sprawl.  Often, in
wikis we find that writers pick a random name for their new pages.  As
a result there can be several half finished pages on the some topic.

When editors come along and attempt to merge similar pages, they need
to be aware of the whole wiki before they can be effective.

Then when readers come acoss the wiki then need to be able to quickly
find the information for which they are looking.

The idea for the limited number of base categories came from Fedora's
experience with their wiki.  They found that without the use of
hierarchy the wiki quickly sprawled into a very difficult to use mess.
 Thus, they formed a number of base catagories.  Wiki gardeners can
then maintain a subsection of pages.

I don't think anyone outside of Wikipedia, who's information is
naturally arranged in alphabetical order, has found a good solution to
the problem.

david