[IAEP] Mac Woes

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 24 19:36:46 EDT 2009

Hi...

OK, here's the "dumb question" for today.  I am sitting here in the wilds of MT with only a Mac and would like to create the latest Strawberry Soas for my Mac.

Tomorrow evening I will be presenting a talk/hands-on for the Bozeman MT LUG about SoaS and the contributors program.  The club president, a prof in the CS dept at MSU in Bozeman, has already created a lot of SoaSs and Live CDs, but I wanted to try it tonight at home so I will know what to expect.

I don't have access to a Windows machine here.  So I have two possible ideas for how I could do this:

1) Create the SoaS using Windows in my Bootcamp Windows partition. (Will this work?).

2) Use the same procedure we use to create a software update USB for the XO.  It will work on either a Mac or Windows.  Here is a link to those instructions:

 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update

Steps 2-4 would be the ones needed for this (with variations to meet the actual conditions for SoaS).

Would method 2 work?  Would method 1 work?

If niether will work, I'll just have to wait until tomorrow evening.  If either, or both will work, we can revise the instructions for others who may be stranded in the boonies with nothing but their trusty Macs.

Caryl