[IAEP] Fructose = Sugar essentials (was: ASLO Suggestion)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jun 21 07:32:33 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:20:38PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 21:09, Jonas Smedegaard<dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> Wauw, that is news to me: The platform to _develop_ activities is
>> different than the platform to _run_ activities.
>
>Yes, I don't really understand why you are surprised.

Because of my expectations of the awsesome goal discussed below :-)

>> I assumed that a working Sugar environment was supposed to be enough
>> to take well-behaving Sugar activities apart and hack on them.
>>
>> Yes, I do know that the goal of supporting live editing activities by
>> the learners have not been reached yet (except for a few Activities),
>> but I still thought it was a goal - and pat of the vision with Sugar.
>
>That's an awesome goal, but distributors of Sugar like OLPC haven't
>found a good way to ship all development dependencies in their space
>constraints.
>
>Instead of throwing out the window the possibility of coding
>activities in C or whatever compiled language, we have decided to
>write as much as possible in an interpreted language like Python. It's
>a compromise.

That's why I talk about "well-behaving" activities.

I imagined a hierarchy of activities like this:

  0. Core activities (ideally none!) using non-Sugar libraries/binaries

  1. Well-behaving activities using only Fructose

  2. Other activities using whatever

With above distinction, users would be able to hack on well-behaving
activities as they would all be written in a supported scripting
language (Python now, perhaps Smalltalk/Squak or ECMAScript in the
future).

And distributors (OLPC, SoaS, OpenSuSe etc.) could distinguish if they
would offer a hackable subset or a larger hackable/non-hackable mixture.

And publishing mechanisms like ASLO could emphasize well-behaving
activities.

>>>Yes.

>>>Why so?
>>
>> To provide a well-defined, fully scriptable Sugar ABI/API (see above)
>
>But we already have that. I have the impression that you are seeing a
>black or white situation where I'm seeing a black and white one. We
>want _both_ the possibilities for writing Sugar activities in scripted
>languages and in compiled languages.

See above.  I don't want to get rid of e.g. TamTam that is not written
in Python.  But I do want such non-hackable activities to be treated as
2nd class!

>> To allow activities to be portable across "implementations of Sugar"
>> (to avoid the word "distribution" as has been discussed with SoaS).
>
>That's a nice goal, but we aren't currently aiming for it. Activity
>bundles that contain binary code will have to contain versions for all
>the platforms they want to run in.

I hope we simple misunderstand each other here:

I believe Sugarlabs _do_ want activities wo "just work", independent of
the learner using a Sugar environment compiled on top of Fedora, Debian,
OpenSuSe or whatever.

If Sugarlabs treat all activities the same, without encouraging those
using only a "Sugar ABI" (which is *not* tied to a specific
architecture, endianness or distribution), then alternatives like
energy-efficient ARM or MIPS machines will be experienced as 2nd class.

>>>No activity _needs_ to be part of fructose. It's just a convenience
>>>offered to activity authors that wish to use it.
>> [snip]
>>>The only reason for including an activity in Sucrose is because the
>>>activity authors finds this release cycle convenient because of
>>>synchrony with new releases of components like hulahop and
>>>sugar-toolkit and because translators may have an easier time by
>>>working on translations in one batch.
>>
>> Oh, now I am really confused:
>>
>> Any activity developer finding it convenient to follow the Sugar
>> release cycle is welcome to have their activities included in
>> Fructose?!?
>
>IMO, yes. I'm not the release manager and others have different views
>of what Fructose means.

Bingo!  That is what I originally opposed, and still disagree with.

The rest of this longish thread was (important but) sidetracking.

As I see it, Fructose activities are non-hackable activities that are
distributed to all learners.  So ideally there should be none, and most
certainly the amount should be kept small.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --