[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] ASLO Suggestion

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jun 10 18:53:38 EDT 2009

Hi James,

On 10 Jun 2009, at 17:48, James Simmons wrote:

> Martin,
>
> First and foremost ASLO has to make sense to grade school kids and
> their teachers.  That's why I didn't care for GCompris as a
> category.  Now since we can give an Activity up to three Categories
> it might make sense to have one for the stuff that comes pre-
> installed.  Other than that, does any kid or teacher care who
> maintains an Activity?

As I said once before, I'm really not a fan of ontologies, it's all
shades of grey for me, but I guess we should try and get agreement on
some set. Can't be much worse than we have already! :-)

Here's the thread from back in March when we last tried to move on this:

	http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-March/004715.html

> For ASLO we might want teachers to suggest categories based on
> subjects taught.  For instance, instead of "Documents" we might have
> "Reading" and "Writing" or "Reading and Writing".  Instead of "Media
> Creation" and "Media Playing" we could have "Art" and "Music".

Not too much input from existing teachers unfortunately back then, but
the list I was keeping track of ended up at something like the below:

Art
Communication
Games
Geography
Literacy
Maths
Music
Programming
Science
Utilities

How does this seem to folks, anything missing or could be better
named? Was trying to keep the list reasonably short and non-technical.

Regards,
--Gary