[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2009-06-15

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Mon Jun 15 16:35:05 EDT 2009

> Technologically the phone and the computer are quickly converging.
> They are just coming at the problem from different points of view.
> Phones focus on power consumption and size.  Netbooks focus on screen
> size and general use computing.
>
> If the new ARM technology is as good inside devices as it is on paper
> the convergence is going to happen sooner than many of us expect it.

If you look at the Nvidia Tegra video made by Charbax then it is clear
that it will converge next year.
Google and the ARM companies pushed millions of $ into quick web
browsing and hardware accelerated video and flash (something even Bryan
Berry defines as the future of educational software development).
Android implements the following things (the next version will support
smartbooks):
1. Its Dalvik VM works in very limited resource environments. It is
something Negroponte talked about but nothing happened (with Python
memory comsumption), Google did not talk about it just fixed it.
2. The applications are separated like in Rainbow. OLPC will even loose
Rainbow with the transitioning to stock Fedora.
3. There is an usable programming environment targeting Android. I can
debug programs from Eclipse running on Windows!!!
4. All the activities on Android can be used by the cursor keys only (so
they ARE easy to handle). Something Sugar lacks even now.
5. There is a massive army of programmers targeting Android.
It is only my really humble opinion, but could that be that probably the
most sane way would be porting the relevant parts of Sugar to the
Android platform and ditching the rest?