[IAEP] Fructose = Sugar essentials (was: ASLO Suggestion)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jun 11 12:18:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 04:33:29PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>IMO, the only reason for an activity to be part of Fructose is to be
>tied closely to the release cycle. For most activities this will be a
>bad thing, but for some it's good. I think it's good for activities
>that depend closely on some part of the platform, so that when the
>platform updates, say, xulrunner or evince, the activity for this
>release cycle won't work in the past releases and past versions won't
>work in the last release cycle. Using the same release cycle as the
>platform makes things much easier.

I strongly disagree with above: Sugarlabs should provide a minimal,
core, essential system, that other activities are supposed to rely on as
sole platform.

Essentially you are saying (or I am reading into it) that Fructose
activities are those relying on unstable/missing Sugar ABI.

With your logic, activities that rely on non-Sugar libraries, like
TamTam, should be part of Fructose, as future releases of CSound cannot
be trusted to keep binary compatibility.  Just to name a single example.

In my opinion *no* activities should be tied to the Sugar release cycle.
Instead, *all* Activities, Fructose or not, should strive to be
backwards compatible, but might fail to do so for various reasons.

I agree with Gary on this (which you didn't comment on, Tomeu):

>> For me, the only reason for Fructose is for those Activities
>> considered an essential part of the Sugar platform, i.e without
>> Browse it's going to be tough to install other Activities, without
>> Read you won't be able to read documentation. Most Activities ended
>> up in Fructose because their developers were also 'core' developers
>> (those also working on the core Sugar platform), and they usually
>> needed specific Activities to actually test and exercise the various
>> features they were working on and integrating in Sugar.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

P.S.

Please pretty please cleanup your emails: strip quoted text that you do
not comment on.  That goes to all of you.

P.P.S.

If you read this far, it is most likely because I did not include a few
miles of dead quotes of earlier mails.  :-P

- --