[IAEP] Fructose = Sugar essentials (was: ASLO Suggestion)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 12 11:53:30 EDT 2009

Agreed, that's http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/SugarPlatform/0.84

> Essentially you are saying (or I am reading into it) that Fructose
> activities are those relying on unstable/missing Sugar ABI.

No, released stable versions of fructose activities rely on at least
the last stable version of Sugar Platform.

> With your logic, activities that rely on non-Sugar libraries, like
> TamTam, should be part of Fructose, as future releases of CSound cannot
> be trusted to keep binary compatibility.  Just to name a single example.

I think you misunderstood me but cannot see in which way. TamTam, as
any well-behaved activity, relies solely on a released version of the
sugar platform. They are free to follow or not the sugar release
cycle.

> In my opinion *no* activities should be tied to the Sugar release cycle.
> Instead, *all* Activities, Fructose or not, should strive to be
> backwards compatible, but might fail to do so for various reasons.

I would like them to be backwards compatible but we should accept the
fact that some won't be. Right now I'm adding tabs to Browse and I'm
not going to try to find a way to make it backwards compatible because
I have a ton of other things to work on. If someone else has the time
and will to do so, patches are welcome.

> I agree with Gary on this (which you didn't comment on, Tomeu):
>
>>> For me, the only reason for Fructose is for those Activities
>>> considered an essential part of the Sugar platform, i.e without
>>> Browse it's going to be tough to install other Activities, without
>>> Read you won't be able to read documentation. Most Activities ended
>>> up in Fructose because their developers were also 'core' developers
>>> (those also working on the core Sugar platform), and they usually
>>> needed specific Activities to actually test and exercise the various
>>> features they were working on and integrating in Sugar.

As I said, I disagree with the explanation that Gary gives about why
activities are in Fructose, though I agree it's confusing. I don't
have nothing against having a list of basic activities, but are some
activities that are going to depend closely on the last released Sugar
Platform and those being in Fructose is going to make things easier
for everybody.

Regards,

Tomeu