[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] feature freeze issue #2: making easier for people to title their activities

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Sun Jan 18 13:02:57 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:20:29PM -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
> ["Don't keep" option in Naming dialog that pops up when closing the
> activity]
>>
>> Honestly, I think we'll make a lot of people happier by offering this
>> option.
>
> Please don't do this. The "Save/Discard" dialog that traditional
> applications show on close is a recipe for disaster. Please add an explicit
> "Discard" action to the activity menu instead.
> There's a paper (from a friend of mine) discussing this in detail, but
> unfortunately it's in german only currently.

Yes, you're actually right, and it's the reason Sugar was initially
designed without the need for manual saving at all.  You raise a good
point. Perhaps we can add a secondary option to the "Stop" button for
this instead, which forces a conscious decision before a dialog is
needed. (This is fine, since the default is to keep automatically)
How about "Stop and discard", or maybe just "Discard"?

This has some implications, though, since it makes this option
available all the time, instead of just for new instances.  If you
choose discard when you've previously resumed, what happens? The
logical answer in "ideal Sugar" is that you simply discard changes,
but retain any previous versions.  Since we don't have versions, do we
just discard changes, effectively reverting?  Maybe "Discard changes"
is a bettter description.

- Eben