[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 10, Issue 28

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Jan 8 12:36:34 EST 2009

dfarning wrote:
> I would like to offer a _heart_felt_ thanks to everyone at One Laptop
> Per Child who has made Sugar and the XO the products that they are
> today.
>
> You still are at the forefront of a revolution in learning such as the
> world has not seen since the invention of the printing press.
>
> But, this revolution, as with all revolutions, is hard to plan;  there
> are no maps, there is no rule book, there is no gray bearded sage to
> guide your way.
>
> Thank You
>
> David Farning
> Sugar Labs

+1 to that

This is a long-term project. A lot of work preceded our involvement and
much is to come.

We really to need to focus on making Sugar + XS an effective and
reliable product that works in the field. There is still a lot of work
to do in this regard. I had a recent conversation w/ Greg Smith to this
effect.

Open-source developers work on projects that "scratch a personal itch".
We need to get sugar in front of a lot more kids who are in turn to
linked to hacker uncles, fathers, moms, etc. Those sugar contributors
personally attached to deployments will become some of our most
prolific, effective, and long-lasting.

Revolutions don't happen in a day. In case you guys didn't notice, an
incredibly talented and noble man-who happens to be black-was recently
elected US president. Revolutions take time but they take a lot of
effort and they are worth it.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director