[IAEP] http://www-testing.sugarlabs.org/

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Feb 27 13:04:07 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:47:31PM -0500, Christian Marc Schmidt wrote:
> what we need is constructive criticism

1. The random color scheme is surprising and confusing to me.

2. The essential information conveyed by the main text on
http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page ("The learning engine for every
child: ....") is not the most prominent element.  The text that I
imagine is meant to serve this purpose ("The Sugar Learning Platform
provides ....") should be made the first text the eye sees after the
"sugarlabs" icon/logo.

3. No "iconic" aspect of the Sugar UI is prominently visible.  The
"Sugar user interface" thumbnail should not be the Freeform layout and
should be more prominent (http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page does this
alright, but the wiki left and top navigation elements are more
distracting than I'd like).

4. The "only visible when rolledover" menu is distracting eye candy
that's not to my liking as eye candy.  It should just be always
visible.

5. The little "wiki / download / add-ons / donate" menu in the top
right is nice and visible.  "download" needs to get some content but
that's not your issue.

6. The elliptical text snippets are good demo / PowerPoint fodder but
don't help peolpe answer the questions I imagine people are going to
come to the site to find out.  Especially since they're phrased as
statements/answers, so people with different questions have to read
each one and decide if it answers the question(s) they have.  What are
the questions you are trying to help people answer?

7. Maybe the "next >" page is a better skeleton for the first page:
http://www-testing.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=page&page=about_overview
.

> Best,
>

> Christian