[IAEP] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Fri Feb 13 10:04:36 EST 2009

Hi David,

On Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2009, David Van Assche wrote:
> The problem is that 0.82 is not stable at all....

As said before, if there are problems related to particular packaging in
Debian, please file bugs. (For example I still need to test whether
read+write are really broken on Lenny and if so, file bugs. I believe those
would qualify for a Lenny pointrelease. For "write", I know it's broken (just
not exactly how and how to fix it), for "read" I need to test.)

(And of course, filing bugs for stuff you know it's fixed in a newer upstream
release is quite pointless, unless you know we can cherry-pick some patch.)

> Debian now contains the most unstable
> sugar release there is... is that where it wants to be? Affecting
> every *fork* and forcing us to hack around the issues?

Well, Debian happily gives you and anybody the right to fork and modify "our"
stuff (it's mostly not ours, but upstreams), but Debian OTOH doesnt have any
obligation to make forking easier or suit the needs of forks (much less than
a specific fork also) in any way.

(There are some maintainers more interested in specific forks than others. So
your experiences may vary.)

And frankly, I dont see your problem. If Ubuntu (or any other fork) is not
happy with package X, you are free to base your packages on something else.
This has been routinely done in Ubuntu, for example Ubuntu 8.10 AFAIK
(writing this offline..) contains KDE 4.x, while Debian sid still has 3.5.10.
And there have been several other cases like this. Sure, in the long term this
is not really optimal, but there is also nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

So yes, sometimes in some areas its more work than in others, but I don't see
why for example I, who doesnt care about Ubuntu, should spend my energy on
something I dont care about. (I also dont want to stand in the way just for
the sake of it, but that's not what I'm doing or what Jonas has suggested.)

regards,
	Holger

P.S.. I care about Ubuntu users, but not much about this product (=Ubuntu).
Mostly because Ubuntu (IME) doesnt really care about Debian.