[IAEP] [Debian-olpc-devel] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Feb 12 22:15:59 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 02:43:24AM +0100, David Van Assche wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 07:09:02PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:

>>>A main problem with *most* of the Sugar activities in Debian/Ubuntu:
>>>They run but don't scale properly to most screens.
>>
>> In other words: Bugs not specific to Debian, so unrekated to Debian
>> being "the most unstable sugar release there is...".
>>

>Actually, all the bugs are related to Debian...

Yes. such bugs are related to many distributions, including Debian.

So Debian is not "the most unstable", they all are.

I don't say that Debian has no problems. I say that few problems are
_known_ to be _unique_ to Debian: File bugreports against the system
that you actually use, so bugs get known and dealt with. Do not discuss
based on rumors.

It is a fact that Ubuntu has Sugar-related errors that Debian does not!
An example of this is Browse, due to Ubuntu packaging Firefox
differently than Debian. Another example is network-manager breakage,
due to using a newer, less tested network-manager.

Ubuntu release on time. Debian release when ready. Have you ever made
twistbread[1] as a kid? It might taste ok, but you get a stomach ache if
you don't give it the patience it deserves.

I really appreciate help. But honestly I do not find it any helpful if
you are standing over in Ubuntuland pointing fingers at Debian, claiming
that it is our job to make your distro work better. Which is the
impression the initial sentence above, and your current comments, feels
like.

>Ubuntu has made every effort to use debian releases as far as I know,

Ubuntu breaks Debian into pieces and puts it back together again. Then
adds some polish.

Ubuntu is not "Debian - improved" but "Debian - released too early".

Yes, I am throwing mud here. I really tried to hold back. But please
don't give me the crap that Ubuntu only adds on top of Debian. It is a
marketing lie.

Use Ubuntu. Be happy with Ubuntu. But have the courtesy to not blame
Debian for what you experience in Ubuntu. Blame Ubuntu, and leave it to
the Ubuntu developers to pass on the blame as needed.

>In the end, this thread is now 55 responses long... obviously there is
>an issue here,

You mean the longer and messier we discuss, the greater proof that
Debian is the worst system ever to run Sugar?

  - Jonas

[1] http://flickr.com/photos/toxis/185712257/

- --