[IAEP] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Feb 12 14:44:31 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 07:08:14PM +0100, David Van Assche wrote:

>The problem is that 0.82 is not stable at all....

Compared to not-yet-released 0.84 or what do you mean?

>Ubuntu LTS, btw... [detail snippet], so no, its not the same.

Not identical, no.

I have no interest in detailed comparison.

>Why can't there be something like Holger is suggesting... just a place
>where Debian and Ubuntu can work alongside each other.

We do work alongside each other, it is the place both Holger an I are
talking about: The OLPC team hosted at the Debian service Alioth.

If you mean a place where Morgan and Luke switch branches when suitable
for Ubuntu timely releases, and Holger uploads same packages to Debian
so that we all run same great unstable(!) packages, then that can be
same place, only I have no interest in participating.

If you mean a place where Morgan and Luke switch branches when suitable
for Ubuntu timely releases, while Holger and I can keep the older
packages to suit Debian "release when ready" pace, then that is planned.

>This Debian vs Ubuntu thing is just becoming silly now.... There are
>people in the field who are losing deployment opportunities because of
>this....

Because Ubuntu is running ahead of Debian?

Because Debian does not in the footsteps of Ubuntu running ahead?

Because Sugar is packaged using git-buildpackage and CDBS for Debian?

Because Luke does not understand the Debian packaging style?

Debian is not a monoculture. We do not have a leader or a board deciding
if GNOME or KDE is best, or if Subversion or Git it best, or if CDBS is
good or bad.

I do *not* mean to say if a monoculture is good or bad. Only that it is
*different*.

I strongly disagree that our attempts at working together, across the
real differences in mindset, pace and technical choices of Debian and
Ubuntu.

What is silly is expecting those differences to vanish, or that they do
not affect the packaging work, or the end result for users.

At the moment the Ubuntu developers has decided to not make use of the
shared Git repositories that I am maintaining. They might never use them
again - time will tell. But it seems to me that we are not very far from
being able to work closer together again. In a way that satisfies both
Ubuntu and Debian needs.

>Debian now contains the most unstable sugar release there is...

This comes as a big surprise to me. Honestly!

Debian has 18 Sugar-related known bugs currently, most of them exotic.

Which of the bugs are you referring to from this list:
http://bugs.debian.org/debian-olpc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

If you cannot locate your experienced/rumored bugs at above list,
then please file bugreports about them!

As users, first priority is to file bugreports against the party closest
to you: If you have time to kill then coordinating bugreports across
distributions and upstream is appreciated too, but main thing is to make
your own distributor aware of any issues you experience!

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --