[IAEP] [support-gang] Fwd: w7sins FUD

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Aug 31 15:15:34 EDT 2009

<http://books.google.com/books?id=WKQhFoin9J4C&pg=PA186&lpg=PA186&dq=%22invasi%C3%B3n+cultural%22+pablo+freire&source=bl&ots=OwnQN4_UXS&sig=79qDqo1590mxNTbOwbQnWNZO3sM&hl=es&ei=SB2cSuHyI4mwtgflpp3WBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=&f=false>
Heya,
Sorry for the cross post but I felt the need to address comments about this
both
on IAEP and support-gang.

I still have to point out that there are 7000 XOs with Windows in Uruguay
and at least 100 here in Peru. The fact that these were not "shipped" by
OLPC is irrelevant and the ghost of Windows on XO 1.5 is one that I think is
preeeety real (whether or not this particular PC manufacturer -OLPC -
formally ships Windows or not).

So, In Perú, I will keep pushing, once more, our campaign:

"Window$ es una Inva$ión Kultural".

(Window$ is a Kultural Inva$ion)

(Check what I mean by Invasión
Cultural<http://books.google.com/books?id=WKQhFoin9J4C&pg=PA186&lpg=PA186&dq=%22invasi%C3%B3n+cultural%22+pablo+freire&source=bl&ots=OwnQN4_UXS&sig=79qDqo1590mxNTbOwbQnWNZO3sM&hl=es&ei=SB2cSuHyI4mwtgflpp3WBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=&f=false>-
from a book by great pedagogue
Paulo Freire)

The FSF, and many others like me, consider proprietary software a Social
Problem - its not about technical alternatives - of which we have many - but
about (real) access and ownership of knowledge and tools by the
underprivileged [who do not get to decide].

This reflects pretty clearly in MS's #1 Sin:
*1. Poisoning education:* Today, most children whose education involves
computers are being taught to use one company's product: Microsoft's.
Microsoft spends large sums on lobbyists and marketing to corrupt
educational departments. An education using the power of computers should be
a means to freedom and empowerment, not an avenue for one corporation to
instill its monopoly.

You can consider this FUD, perhaps you live in a country with a
not-very-corrupt education system. I consider it very real - so its not
about the technical solution, but about the social problem.

I think putting the XO was a clear message, in the sense that this project
signified the hopes of many information libartarians - like me - to bring
equal and fair access to enlighened cultural attittudes wrt to knowledge,
information and technology / which is exactly what is at stake, but because
of ivory tower arrogance and, well, the real world, it is our latest
failure, in our innevitable path to learning to become a free society of
understanding.

Thanks.

Sebastian

Sebastian Silva