[IAEP] SoaS as a Sugar Labs project.

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Aug 28 11:37:23 EDT 2009

El Wed, 26-08-2009 a las 16:47 +0100, Martin Dengler escribió:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:18:13AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > Tomeu> > Do you have any actionable ideas about how to work better for our users?
> >
> > I perceive a double bind: I have lots of ideas, but ideas are cheap and seem
> > most unwelcome here -- they're just "talk" instead of "do", aren't
> > they?
>
> I think you should share them.  "Talk" isn't bad unless it distracts
> or detracts from "do".

BTW, we already have a tool setup to organize and vote ideas:

  http://idea.sugarlabs.org

It's an instance of IdeaTorrent maintained by Dogi and shared with OLPC
(http://idea.laptop.org is another URL for the same site).

Perhaps we'd like to start using it?  There are two potential dangers:

 * people proposing and voting these ideas might get the false
   impression that top ideas will be worked on and become frustrated
   if that doesn't happen because nobody volunteers for the "do" part

 * when the list of voters is loosely defined, vocal minorities tend
   to drive the results.  IdeaTorrent is neither a democratic voting
   system, nor a scientific survey tool.

If we could make these two points *very* clear, for example by putting
notices on top of the front page, I think idea.sugarlabs.org might
become a useful tool and we could point people there from the wiki.

Ideas?