[IAEP] Physics - Lesson plans ideas?

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 22 23:41:40 EDT 2009

The important thing about what the computer does in this case -- repeated incremental additions -- is that the children can and do carry it out themselves.

They do not need to understand in any way how the computer actually does this. This is a critical part of how understanding is done here. In fact, I've written and lectured elsewhere about the excellent approach to using incremental addition (by hand) by the first grade teacher Julia Nishijima.

And, not to be provocative, but in any case, even if the children didn't do it before they use the computer, I don't think too many people would conclude that hiding simple arithmetic is in the same category as hiding differential equations. One is not mysterious, and the other one is.

And I was not talking about "a level of description" but about what human representation systems can and can't do with respect to "what's out there?".

Best wishes,

Alan