[IAEP] Anyone using the Map activity?

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Fri Aug 7 18:32:01 EDT 2009

I tried Map on a XO

The map viewer and search worked OK. I didnt try to insert any material from the Journal.

It starts zoomed in on Boston and I had to do a lot of pressing zoom out before I could do any useful navigation. I did not see a zoom slider tool. It is missing a lot of features of maps.google.com which works fine in Browse on the XO. It doesnt list multiple search results, has no zoom slider, doesnt show satellite view etc.

I presume that the need Map has been created to fill is the annotation of maps with photos etc from the Journal and Sugar collaboration.

Looks like if I logged into google maps I could upload photos from the journal, this is collaboration too. Not sure if I can control access to my google map uploads which is still a feature in favour of the Map Activity.

I can upload photos to Flickr, I can place them on maps and can control who has access. There is a problem with Browse on XO build 767 that the upload dialog box occasionally gets stuck behind the main window.

So I am having trouble seeing the need for a Map activity when good web based tools exist and which offer the collaboration features of Sugar at the web level.

There is still a case for laptop based tools rather than doing everything in the cloud, net access is not everywhere, particularly not in olpc target markets, but the Map activity needs the net to work so why not just tap into the cloud?

Tony