[IAEP] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Education_Team#Commentary

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 5 12:08:00 EDT 2009

Dennis Daniels wrote:
> All my efforts with SoaS, avec et sans screencasting, have been
> _disappointing_.

Please report your problems on sugar-devel, so that we can try to figure
out why Strawberry isn't working on your machines.

>> I think screencasting is a neat idea but the hardware most likely to
>> run Sugar won't have the horsepower to capture a full size screen and
>> in the case of the XO might not have enough disk space to do it
>> either.

I tested screencasting on the XO, with no audio and low quality Theora, at
about 1-2 fps.  At this framerate, the size on disk is actually very
reasonable.  For many purposes, 1 fps is actually plenty, but the results
are by no means beautiful.  Of course, the XO-1 is a bit of an extreme
case, with both slow CPU speed and high screen resolution.  Any other
Sugar machine will surely be able to record at a higher rate.  (The new
Theora encoder is also notably faster.)

I think a screencasting frame device would not be unreasonable.

--Ben