[IAEP] Cloning USB sticks

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Aug 4 08:07:31 EDT 2009

Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:38:38AM -0700, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:
>
>> Can I avoid this f I set up the USB to not use all of the available
>> space when I allocate the partition sizes in net install  method (see
>> link:)
> I don't know enough about the Fedora installation process to answer
> that question (without trying it out myself), sorry.
> The important point is that there's unallocated _partition_ space left
> at the _end_ of the device. I.e. don't just leave space inside the LVM
> or make some overlay file smaller. There mustn't be anything at all in
> that empty space.
>
>> or because the dd is bit by bit copy I have to look at each stick
>> first  for sizes, as it will not work if stick is just smaller in
>> capacity
> Can you rephrase, please?
ie: The over-riding determining factor is that the copied to USB stick
has to have equal or greater capacity than the copied from USB stick for
the dd process to be sucessful.
* Do you have a suggestion on how to determine the actual size of a USB
stick without seeing the error message if the dd command fails?
> PS: Did you send this privately (instead of over the list) on purpose?
No; I just wanted you input on this matter. I wanted to understand it
better before posting it.....

> CU Sascha
Cordially

Tom Gilliard