[IAEP] USB Sticks - Was: Re: Presenting Sugar to Rosie's Girls Camp, recommendations for cheap, fast flash drives

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 12:35:35 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Caroline
Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> Nicco's example has a good example use case from the field that relate to
> our work on trying to create a more robust Sugar on a Stick.
> Nicco's school has already bought USBs without any input from Nicco. I see
> this a lot.  LGF the Middle School we are working with also have USB sticks
> from the city with the mayors name on it.
> I've had other teachers tell me that they have kids buy a USB stick as part
> of their back to school supplies.  In that case every kid may have a
> different brand.
> Other times teachers are going to buy new sticks just for SoaS but its very
> hard for us to tell them what to buy because USBs are not well labeled for
> quality.
> Our goal is widespread adoption.  Its going to help adoption if teachers can
> use the USB sticks they already have in hand.

It is a fine goal to be able to use any USB sticks teachers may have
on hand and it is perhaps achievable. But it is largely outside of the
realm of the Sugar team to achieve. That said, what we can do in the
short term is to try to identify and characterize and promote sticks
that we know will offer a good experience.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs