[IAEP] USB Sticks - Was: Re: Presenting Sugar to Rosie's Girls Camp, recommendations for cheap, fast flash drives

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sun Aug 2 11:36:38 EDT 2009

Nicco's example has a good example use case from the field that relate to
our work on trying to create a more robust Sugar on a Stick.
Nicco's school has already bought USBs without any input from Nicco. I see
this a lot.  LGF the Middle School we are working with also have USB sticks
from the city with the mayors name on it.

I've had other teachers tell me that they have kids buy a USB stick as part
of their back to school supplies.  In that case every kid may have a
different brand.

Other times teachers are going to buy new sticks just for SoaS but its very
hard for us to tell them what to buy because USBs are not well labeled for
quality.

Our goal is widespread adoption.  Its going to help adoption if teachers can
use the USB sticks they already have in hand.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 14:59, Nicco Eneidi<nbotticelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's actually the Sandisk Cruzer 1GB models that I've been having trouble
> > with. That's the model that we've been giving out to our 6th grade
> students
> > so I have a whole bunch laying around but they seem incredibly slow and I
> > have yet to have a successful install of Sugar, Ubuntu or anything for
> that
> > matter on those models. We have also had a rather high failure (physical)
> > rate for the Cruzers so I am reluctant to get any more of them.
>
> I guess totally different nand chips can be sold under the same product
> name?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>

> >> Sandisk Cruzer 2GB around $8-9.
> >> These are VERY reliable and pretty fast for the price.
> >> Dave

> >> --
> >> Dave Bauer
> >> dave at solutiongrove.com