[IAEP] maths instruction

Kathy Pusztavari kathy at kathyandcalvin.com
Thu Apr 30 13:26:34 EDT 2009

The problem is that people do not understand Direct Instruction (DI as in
SRA curriculum or curriculum that follows the DI Rubric).  Direct
Instruction INCLUDES lectures (with choral responding to ensure students are
engaged), small groups, activities, projects, etc.  In using Direct
Instruction, students use the information taught immediately, then concepts
are built on top of each other or built to more difficult levels.  In
addition, you don't learn a concept then never see it again - you see it for
a while because you want to maintain learned items.

Constructivism wants the child to discover a concept.  Have you seen this in
action?  About 40-60% of the kids don't get it and end up feeling stupid.
And that is why I cried for 2 weeks in my student teaching - I knew these
kids could get it but they were never taught in a way that they could GET
IT.

Is the education system there for:

1. The 13-20% that absolutely need well sequenced, explicit instruction
(think special ed)
2. The 40-60% that may not be as motivated, they are not the brightest
bulbs, and/or may require some direct instruction
3. The 20% that can learn if they are put in a closet (AKA Closet Kids).
Very smart - 1 trial learners

The reason to computerize is that you are now able to differentiate
instruction.  You can reach all kids at their speed and level.  If you think
about it, it is the best reason to have Sugar used to develop curriculum
rather than just a bunch of activities that are a hit or miss on some
state/country's standards.

BTW, I was just informed that the state of Oregon has licensed me as a
pre-school though 8th grade teacher.  Not sure if that is a good thing for
Oregon or not ;)  If you don't know, Oregon is very much so a constructivist
state.  And we have the biggest Direct Instruction conference in the world
here every year.  The irony of it.

I'm not against constructivism.  I'm just against it be used as the first
line of teaching.  It allows a teacher to blame the student for not
understanding.  When you do DI, it really is the fault of the teacher for
not helping the student "get it".

DI has a bunch of research based tools to ensure students get it:

1. Is the pacing correct (too fast, too slow)
2. Is the sequence correct (don't assume kids have prerequisite knowledge -
ensure your teaching roadmap is valid)
3. Do you have good classroom management where there is no wasted time in
transitions, rules are understood and practiced, and kids feel safe
4. Is the information presented in an interesting way.  Even though we have
scripts, we need to also understand what is being taught & why, the
direction the teaching is going, and how to act or "punch it up"
5. Ensure that students get small bits of teaching in 3-4 various tracks of
information.  In other words, don't spend 1 hour teaching fractions.  Teach
a fraction concept for 10 minutes, work a little on math facts (5 min), work
on estimations (10 min), and one other track.  This is one day's worth of
math.  Mix and match but they thread in a sequencial manner (think roadmap).

Well what do you know, computer programs can do all that.

-Kathy

  _____