[IAEP] maths instruction

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 12:37:34 EDT 2009

We read a book in my class this semester: "The New Taxonomy of Educational
Objectives" by Marzoano and Kendall.  Its an attempt to update Blooms
Taxonomy.  Lots of good stuff in there but still has a committee feel to it.

However, taxonomy is more about what you teach and pedagogy is about how.  I
really haven't run into anyone who doesn't think there is a "time to teach"
that is some belief in direct instruction.

Right now I'm reading "Studio Learning" and even in art studio classes
direct instruction, lectures and demonstrations, have a role.  The
difference is how the information is tied to student work. In a studio class
you use the information taught immediately.

The more I learn about learning theory the more I see it as mix and match,
not black and white.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Kathy Pusztavari <kathy at kathyandcalvin.com
> wrote:

> Bloom's Taxonomy reminds me of committees that never get anything done in
> the Life of Brian.
>
> Direct Instruction reminds me of the people that get in there and get the
> job done.
>
> Here is the Direct Instruction guide:
>
> http://www.zigsite.com/PDFs/rubric.pdf

Caroline Meeks